Global USTB

Why Work at USTB?

  USTB takes pride for being a leader and innovator amongst Chinese universities, and has been responsible for many “firsts” in the nation. USTB developed the country’s first electric arc furnace, designed the housing materials for China’s first satellite Dong Fang Hong 1, and built the nation’s first industrial-size robot. In recognition of our achievements, USTB has been chosen as one of the first universities to participate in several national high-level initiatives, including the “211 Project” and “985 Platform for National Advanced Disciplines Innovation”, as well as being one of the first universities permitted to establish a graduate degree program and establish a partnership with a foreign university during the reforming and opening-up period. In 2017 we were chosen to be part of the national “Double First-Class Initiative” to build four first-class disciplines. As a university of “firsts”, USTB continually strives to be a leading innovator in both China and the global community.

Find Jobs

  Dear International Faculties, USTB employs both academic and non-academic staff in many varying professions. We also trains in many vocations. The announcement and filling of open positions is assumed by the individual University institutions, for example the Department of Human Resourses or other institutions in the faculties. Current job openings are updated daily in the USTB jobs database. You should send applications directly to the institution mentioned in the job posting. If your application is successful, the Department of Human Resources will take over the hiring process.



Life at USTB


  Pre-Arrival Information


​ Basic Visa and Pre-Departure Information


  1. Submit application form to International Office of USTB (download application form)

  2. Prepare certificates of associated documents (1 month)

  3. Submit original documents for Foreigner’s Work Permit Notice (20 workdays)

  4. Apply for a visa


  1. Category of visa

  图片包含 屏幕截图


  2. (List of the Application Materials for the Work Permit Notice)

  3. (download Evaluation Criteria for Foreigners Employed in China (Trial))

  4. Visa Application process

  You can enter China with three kinds of visa: F (visiting) Visa, Z (working) Visa and R (talent) Visa (only for Category A foreign experts).

   F (visiting) Visa

  Z (working) Visa

  R (talent) Visa (only for Category A foreign experts)


Before You Leave Your Home Country



  It is important that you have all of your travel arrangements finalized before leaving.

  Make sure you know your flight itinerary, and have transportation arranged to and from the airport. It is recommended you take a taxi to USTB, though the campus can also be accessed by subway and buses as well.

  Be sure to carry all important phone numbers and contact information for your contacts in USTB. If possible inform your main contact at USTB as to the day and time of your arrival.

  Keep this information separate from your travel documents and passport.

  Your passport and travel documents need to be readily accessible for immigration officials.



  Your original travel documents (passport, entry visa, etc.) and multiple copies (clear, easily read copies) to be kept separately in case of emergency

  A supply of all prescription medications with a description of each written by your doctor

  High-end foreign talents need to bring original documents, in order to apply for 《Foreigner’s Work Permit Notice》



  USTB is located in Beijing, situated in northern China. The city experiences all four seasons, with the summers getting relatively hot (40 degrees C) as well as cold winters. As such it is recommended you bring clothing appropriate for staying comfortable throughout the year, although additional clothing is readily available for purchase locally as well.

  On-campus/in-class - casual wear including long pants, button-up shirts, is preferable to maintain a professional classroom atmosphere

  Everyday – jeans, shorts, T-shirts/shirts are pretty standard.

  Formal wear – suits & dresses are important to have for formal events/receptions

  Winter wear – sweaters, warm coat, hat, scarf, and gloves are recommended

  Footwear – sneakers, sandals/ casual shoes, at least one pair of formal shoes, and warm winter boots



  An extra pair of glasses or contact lenses

  Photographs and maps of your home country (and other sentimental objects from home)

  An updated list of contacts (including information for friends & family from home & in the U.S.)

  Your favorite music from your home-country

  A small first aid or emergency kit including items like thread, band aids, antibacterial ointments, non-prescription medicines

  Spending money since you may not be paid until after your arrival



  Most household items can be purchased in China for reasonable prices; therefore it is best to leave these items in your home country (i.e. kitchen items, bed linens, towels, etc.) 


When You Arrive


  Within the first month of your arrival you should do the following things:



  If you live in a school apartment or hotel you must go to the front desk to ask for a Temporary Residence Registration Form. If you live outside campus you have to go to the local police station together with the landlord of your residence to complete the Registration Form of Temporary Residence.

  If you change your accommodations, you must update it at police station within 24 hours.


Academic and Administrative Requirements

  Go to the International Office to inform them of your arrival and begin any necessary paperwork.


  Check in with other departments on campus that may be expecting to meet with you (i.e. your sponsoring department)


Living Arrangements and Getting Settled


  Inspect your apartment and ensure that all utilities (power, water, internet) and appliances (refrigerator, washing machine, air conditioner) are working, and if there are any issues that need to be reported or fixed.


  Figure out your means of transportation (car, taxi, bus, bicycle, walking)

  *IMPORTANT: If you are entering China for the first time in order to work, you will likely need to undergo a number of tasks to become officially registered, including updating your visa, registering at the local police department, etc. You MUST check in at the International Office to find out what needs to be done after your arrival.


Foreigner’s Work Permit and Residence Permit Application Process

  Go to the designated hospital for physical examination (within 3-4 workdays)

  Submit associated documents to International Office for application of Foreigner’s Work Permit (10 workdays) (documents list)

  Prepare Residence Permit Application Form and other associated documents to apply Residence Permit (download Residence Permit Application Form and documents lists)


Visa/Work Permit Renewal



  ●Apply for extension of Foreigner’s Work Permit(30-90 days prior to expiration of the Foreigner’s Work Permit)

  ●Renew Residence Permit



  ●If you lose your passport, you need to report it to the police and contact International Office of USTB as soon as possible.

  ●Apply for a new passport at your country’s embassy.

  ●Apply Residence Permit with new passport

  ●Renew Foreigner’s Work Permit



Utilities, Internet & Phone



  Utilities and Internet costs are paid by the International Office or yourself under the contract agreement.


  There are a variety of cell phone companies around the USTB area. The most popular companies are China Mobile and China Unicom. Both companies offer coverage throughout China and if your plan allows for it, international coverage. Make sure you carefully read everything before you sign up for a particular plan; in particular, please be certain to ask specifically about international calling rates, messaging plans, 3G/4G network fees and capabilities (if applicable), contract agreements, and possible overage charges. Note that cell phone shops are unlikely to have English speakers, so bring a translator with you if possible.



  You will need to setup a bank account at the Bank of China (中国银行)for your salaryto be deposited into,as well as a bank cardin order to use Alipay or WeChat mobile payment options, which are the most popular methods of payment in China. POS and cash are relatively less common today.

  Typically, to open a bank account you only need valid passport,a long-term visa, and a mainland cellphone number. It is suggested to take the contract signed with USTB and proof of address with you. There is usually no minimum balance required also no monthly fee if you don’t open account transfer notification.

  If you want a Credit Card, aside from the aforementioned materials, you should provide valid residence permit for foreigners, whose expiration date should be more than 1 month and a positive credit history.

  Alternatively, there are Bank of China branches in other countries, visiting one of them before you come to China is also a good choice.


  Keda branch of Bank of China (location: east of School of Foreign Studies)

  Open 09:00--17:00 Monday-Friday

  Dongsheng Road branch of Industrial & Commercial Bank of China (location: out the university north gate turn west 100m)

  Open 09:00-12:0013:30-17:00  Monday-Friday

  Wudaokou branch of China Construction Bank (location: Chengfu Road #20-1)

  Open 09:00-17:00 Monday-Saturday

  Xueyuan Road branch of Huaxia Bank (location: Keda Tiangong Building first floor in block B)

  Open 09:00-17:00 Monday-Friday, Sunday


  China Construction Bank ATM (location: from souther campus WUMART walk west 30m)

  Industrial & Commercial Bank of China ATM (location: opposite Hongbo canteen)

  Bank of China ATM (location: together with Keda branch, near School of Foreign Studies)

  Tips: There are currency restrictions in China set by the“Foreign Currency Regulation Policy”. You can choose to open a multi-currency account just to get fast cash transfers, with a minimal amount.


Public Transportation

  There are several convenient options for public transportation in Beijing, including bus, subway, taxi, private car, and shared bike services. The purchase and use of an automobile in Beijing is heavily restricted and unlikely to be an option for most foreign workers, although the use of electric bikes is possible. Be aware that USTB maintains strict regulations for registering and storing electric bikes on campus.


  Bus and subway services can be used either by paying with cash, using a Beijing transport card (which may be purchased as select subway stations), or using a phone-based QR code for the subway. There are several bus stops surrounding the USTB campus, and the nearest subway station (Mudanyuan station) is a 15-20 minute south of the campus East gate.

  Private car service has become very popular in China, with the most popular platform being DiDi (嘀嘀打车). You must download a cell phone app to use this service, and the app is entirely in Chinese. While the service is typically safe, be aware that incidents of violence have occurred in the past, and so you should be alert when using such services.

  Taxis are typically readily found throughout the city, and often times taxis will wait by the East gate for customers. Taxis may be called directly, hailed in the street, or even reserved using the DiDi app mentioned above.

  Finally, if you wish to use a bike to get around, there are a handful of bike sharing services available. Typically you will need to download an app and set up an account (with a Chinese bank account) to use these services.​


Campus and Public Safety



  USTB Emergency: 8233 4999




  USTB Hospital Emergency telephone is 62332909.


  Emergency Medical Treatment: 120 or 999



  For all life-threatening health and safety emergencies, call 120 or 999


  Police: 110    Fire: 119    Traffic accidents: 122

Personal Safety

  Be aware of your surroundings


  Be aware of news regarding crimes on campus.


  Avoid isolated or dark areas.


  Travel with confidence and purpose.


  Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging.


  Before exiting a building or car, look around the area for anything suspicious.


  If confronted by a situation, try to remain calm.


  If it is safe to do so, try to get a detailed description of suspects or suspicious persons and/or their vehicle(s).


  Know the locations of emergency telephones.


  Do not use ATMS (automated bank teller machines) alone, at night, or when someone suspicious is nearby.


  Avoid strangers; you do not have to stop and talk to them.


  If you are being followed, go to the nearest area of safety.


  Stay alert, and plan ahead for “What if…?”



  Know your neighbors or co-workers; you are the best one to determine who does not belong.


  Do not prop open exterior doors.


  When entering a building with access control in place, do not allow strangers to enter behind you.


  Always lock your door when you leave, sleep or work late.


  If you see someone you consider suspicious or out of place, call USTB Department of Public Safety immediately.





Hospitals and Medical Care Centers


  In case of an emergency, call 120 or 999 (off-campus) or 62332909 (on-campus)


  USTB Health Services

  The School Hospital is located by the 2nd south door, it provides outpatient services. You need to carry you work card and passport to receive treatment. 62332909



  Peking University Third Hospital

  Huayuanbei Road, Haidian District, No.49.62751919

  You can also go to Peking University Third Hospital,you need to go with your passport in order to receive treatment.

  Medical Treatment Procedure

  Apply for medical card and buy the medical records


  Go to the relevant departments to wait for a doctor

  Doctor's diagnosis or related examination

  Pay for medicine or treatment.​



Adjusting to Life in China

  After entering a new culture or community it is normal and expected to feel overwhelmed, excited, nervous, sad, frustrated, happy, etc. all at once. Moving away from friends, family, and the familiarity of home is both positively and negatively challenging.  Do not be alarmed or surprised if you find yourself feeling confused or frustrated as you make the big move and adjustment to life in China. Remember that you are not alone.  There are some places on campus where you can seek help and support if you are feeling overwhelmed.  You are encouraged to contact OISSS with any questions or concerns you have regarding you or your dependent’s transition to life in China. 


  Adapting to a new culture is a continual process that lasts throughout one’s stay. It is important to hold on to one’s basic values, while inevitably assimilating to some new cultural values as well. Understanding the adjustment process helps both international students and China citizens accept cultural differences and the occasional feelings of alienation and frustration that come with it. Common adjustment stages are outlined below:


  Public holidays in addition to the summer holiday and Winter holiday.

  Jan.1 New Year's Day   rest 1 day

  Apr.4/5Tomb-sweeping Day   rest 1 day

  May 1International Labor Lay    rest 1 day

  May 5 of the lunar canlendarDragon Boat Festival    rest 1 day

  Aug.15 of the lunarcanlendarMid-autumn Festival    rest 1 day

  Oct.1Chinese National day     rest 3 days


Shopping Centers

  WDK Shopping Center, Open 10:00-22:00

  BHG LIFESTYLE MARKET, Open 10:00-22:00

  Gate Xinzhongguan City Mall, Open 10:00-22:00

  EC Mall, Open 10:00-22:00

  Xin’Ao Shopping Center, Open 10:00-22:00

  KAI SHI PLAZA , Open 10:00-21:00






  On campus supermarket

  Wumei supermarket, Open 8:00-23:00

  Wumei supermarket, Open 7:00-23:00

  Fruit, vegetable, fresh meat market

  Off campus supermarket

  On west gate supermarket: Chaoshifa

  On east gate supermarket: Wumei

  Supermarket at Wudaokou: Lotus and Hualian

  Supermarket at Zhongguancun: Carrefour



  Beijing Zhong You Hotel  level: 3★   Price underline: 497 RMB

  PRONY HOTEL  level: 3★   Price underline: 392 RMB

  DATANG KEYUAN HOTEL  level: 3★   Price underline: 493RMB

  XIJIAO HOTEL  level: 4★   Price underline: 469 RMB

  GARDEN HOTEL  level: 4★   Price underline: 550 RMB

  JING YI HOTEL  level: 4★   Price underline: 516RMB


Contact Information

  ●        PHONE:

  Faculty Affairs: 62333799

  Student Affairs: 62332541

  Visas: 62332806


  ●        FAX: 62337878



  Faculty Affairs:

  Student Affairs:




  International Office (Shiqi Chen; Yang Wang)

  University of Science and Technology Beijing, No. 30 Xueyuan Road, Haidian District,

  Beijing 100083



When You Leave

  1 Consult with the dean/director of your School/Department and get his/her permission

  2 Consults with the Personnel Department to go through the procedure for resigning from USTB

  3 Contact the International Office to cancel the “Foreigner’s Work Permit” and “Residence Permit”. Receive a “cancellation certificate”, “work qualification certificate” and “resignation certificate”